Wednesday, August 6, 2008

On board with a ballerina

Living in the New York area, I've grown accustomed to seeing all sorts of people I never bumped into in North Carolina. Needless to say, very little surprises me anymore. I've seen the Barry White/Johnny Cash karaoke singer, dudes in shirts not big enough for Olive Oil, and so much more. But Tuesday I saw something truly shocking. Waiting in Penn Station for a train stood a six-foot tall, wrong-side-of-50, gender-neutral* ballerina wearing a bright pink tu-tu and showing a fair amount of leg.

* I say gender-neutral, but I assume the person had a gender. I just don't want to guess what it was.

What was truly remarkable was not that this person was there wearing a giant tu-tu but that this man/woman was standing there as if nothing crazy was going on. S/he stood straight upright, at one point pulling out a brush and calmly styling his/her shoulder-length graying hair. And through it all, I my lasting impression of this was thinking: Hum, that tu-tu bottom is quite large. It was probably 6-feet in diameter and looked like a gown from Gone with the Wind. In fact, I have an artist's* rendition of what this person looked like:
* This was drawn by no artist.

No comments: