Saturday, November 8, 2008

Beware the wrath of leaves

I had a first this week, a first which both tickled me and irritated me - a sort of cat hair french tickler for trains. Wednesday afternoon, as I rushed home to turnaround and get to class, my train encountered a serious delay as we moved between Short Hills and Summit. After about 10 minutes, the conductor came over the speaker and announced:
"Sorry for the delay. We are being delayed because of the rain and the leaves. Sorry for the inconvenience; we should get to Summit in just a few minutes."
Yes, you read that right. Our worst fears have been realized: Trees have decided to fight back and, ironically, are shedding their leaves - that which soaks up our carbon rubbish - and concentrating them to slightly inconvenience our public transportation. It's a sort of double death comeback for the green team. And among the most asinine experiences of my commuting life.

No comments: